Don’t Let Termites Get the Best of You
Termites are a big problem because of the destruction they can cause to your home — affecting its structural integrity. These pests are active year-round and can multiply quickly. The problem is termite infestations often go unnoticed for a long time with homeowners only realizing they have termites when selling their home or getting contracting work performed. In this blog post, we’ll talk about termites and tips for homeowners.
Types of Termites in Las Vegas
Below are the 4 most common types of termites present in the Las Vegas, NV area.
- Arid Land Subterranean Termites and Western Subterranean Termites: These termites live throughout most of the U.S. and they’re considered the most destructive termites in North America. Subterranean termites nest underground in colonies of up to 10 million and use mud tunnels to access wood. The best defense against these types of termites is prevention — making sure cracks in plumbing and utility holes are sealed shut.
- Desert Dampwood Termites and Nevada Dampwood Termites: These larger sized termites range in color from brown to cream and love to nest in and eat moist wood. They’re known for destroying vegetation. Rather than creating mud nests, these termites burrow within wood, with nests holding about 4,000 termites each.
Termite Infestation Signs
Below is a list of what you should look for if you’re concerned you may have termites.
- Piles of wood shavings or sawdust around rotting wood
- Hollowed out wood
- Mud tubes on wooden beams, exterior walls, and in crawl spaces
- Cracked or bubbled paint
- Termite droppings
- Discarded swarmer wings
- Using caulk, seal any cracks or holes in your plumbing and foundation as well as utility holes
- Remove any rotting or damp wood piles from your property. Any wood left out should be covered from the rain
- Install screens on exterior vents
- Ensure water drainage areas are clear and properly working
- Inspect wooden structures for damage
Act Fast Contact a Termite Exterminator
Termite damage doesn’t happen overnight. It occurs gradually. However, if a termite infestation is left untreated, it could lead to thousands of dollars in damage. If you believe you have termites in your home, you should contact an experienced pest control company like Pest Control Inc. Pest control technicians know about the different termite species and their habits. They’ll be able to correctly identify the pest and provide an effective treatment whether it be placing baits for subterranean termites or tenting for dry wood termites.
Don’t Let Termites Get the Best of You in Las Vegas and Henderson NV
Extermination Services in Las Vegas NV, North Las Vegas and Henderson NV