Are Bigger Scorpions More Dangerous?
Serving Las Vegas | Henderson | North Las Vegas
There is a misconception that a certain size scorpion is more dangerous than other sizes, but this is generally not believed to be true. Bigger scorpions, or adult scorpions, may be considered more dangerous because they are more strategic in their attack and can sting a victim quickly. Smaller or baby scorpions, however, tend to inject more venom into their victim because they are inexperienced. Both big and small scorpions can pose a serious threat, and it’s important to know which types are most dangerous.
What Types of Scorpions Might I Come Across?
Living near the Mojave Desert brings a lot of pests to the area, especially in the warmer months. Although there are upwards of 25 types of scorpions found in the Las Vegas area, there are three in particular that are most commonly found and may be dangerous at any size:
- Giant hairy scorpion: This bigger scorpion reigns from Arizona and is covered in small black or brown hairs. They can grow up to 6 inches are although they are venomous, they aren’t extremely potent.
- Bark scorpion: Not only is this scorpion the most common, it is also the most venomous type in North America. They are light brown in color, grow up to 3 inches in length, and have a thin tail with a curved stinger. Bark scorpions live in communities meaning if you see one, there are likely many more nearby. A bark scorpion sting is very dangerous.
- Stripe-tailed scorpion: True to their name, these scorpions can be identified by their striped tail. They grow to only 2½ inches, are light brown in color, and have a proportionate tail. Although they are venomous, they are not considered as dangerous as other types.
Ready to Schedule your Free Scorpion Control Estimate?
We’ll call you right back, in 30 minutes or less. Just fill in your info below!
Are Scorpion Stings Dangerous?
Scorpions generally sting when they feel threatened. That said, any human that encroaches on their space or tries to reach for the pest is likely to be stung. Scorpion stings should be taken very seriously and immediate medical attention is a necessity, especially if it was a bark scorpion or if the victim is a child. Scorpion venom can cause a number of symptoms, including:
- Increased blood pressure
- Pain at the site of the sting
- Localized swelling
- Vomiting and breathing trouble
- In serious cases, nerve poisoning
Professional Scorpion Control
No matter the size, scorpions should be considered a threat. It goes to show that even though the bark scorpion isn’t the biggest scorpion to exist, they are the most dangerous. If you notice a scorpion in or near your home, there could be many more nearby, which is why it’s always best to call a professional. Pest Control Inc. has been the local leader in scorpion control and extermination for more than 20 years. Our technicians have the experience needed to safely remove scorpions from your home. For a free estimate, give us a call today!
Are Bigger Scorpions More Dangerous? in Las Vegas and Henderson NV
Extermination Services around Las Vegas and Henderson NV