Characteristics: Carpenter bees are large, robust bees that look similar to bumblebees. They are often black, with splashes of yellow coloring. They also have the “fuzz” that some other bees can have.
- Carpenter bees are solitary.
- They do not build a hive or nest, but rather live in the tunnels they dig into wood.
- Carpenter bees prefer unfinished wood.
- They will return, year after year, to the wood tunnels where they were born.
- Males do not have stingers, and females have them, but will seldom use them.