Actual Size: 6-13mm
Characteristics: Ranked among the largest ants in the United States. Carpenter ants are commonly black, but some specific species are brown.
- One queen. She continuously breeds worker ants.
- Carpenter ants will build a single colony first, and then expand with satellite colonies.
- Carpenter ants prefer to nest in damp wood, and will continually excavate tunnels (known as galleries).
- Outdoors, carpenter ants will nest in woodpiles, railroad ties, and the bases of trees.
- Carpenter ants do not eat wood; they prefer sugary substances.