Are Cockroaches Causing Your Asthma Problems?
Cockroaches are a common pest in Nevada. In fact, there are more than 20 cockroach species in our state alone! These pests will not only bring a host of diseases and problems into your home but the debris they leave behind can also cause asthma sufferers to have an attack — even long after a cockroach infestation has been eliminated. This blog post will look at how cockroaches contribute to asthma and ways you can help prevent cockroaches from invading your home.
How Cockroaches Trigger Asthma
First, a little bit about asthma. Asthma affects around 24 million people in the US including children. As allergy-suffers age they become more vulnerable to environmental triggers, having to rely more on their medication.
One of those environmental triggers — cockroach debris. Researchers say around 63% of homes in the US have cockroach allergens. That number increases to between 78% and 98% for people in urban areas. They say the cockroach’s feces, saliva, and shedding body parts act like dust mites and aggravate symptoms when they’re kicked up into the air.
Whatsmore, even if your home has been cleared of a cockroach infestation, all of that debris can linger in your ductwork, on fabrics, and in the nooks and crannies around your home.
How to Prevent Cockroaches
One of the best ways to prevent cockroach allergies is to prevent these pests from entering your home in the first place. Key tips include:
- Keeping your home clean: ensure no crumbs are left behind on countertops, floors, stoves, pantries or cupboards.
- Keep food in airtight containers.
- Keep trash in sealed containers.
- Use caulk to seal around windows, doors, and around utility pipes. Apply a door sweep for added protection. Cockroaches can fit into the tiniest of holes.
- Eliminate piles of debris like dirty dishes, laundry, and newspapers.
- Eliminate moisture. Repair any leaky pipes or faucets you have.
- Consult your local pest control company. Cockroaches are often difficult pests to eliminate. A pest control technician has the tools and expertise to effectively remove cockroaches and help prevent them in the future.
Are Cockroaches Causing Your Asthma Problems? in Las Vegas and Henderson NV
Extermination Services in Las Vegas NV, North Las Vegas and Henderson NV